|Any family that lives in the Lake Washington School District may apply for admission to the Explorer Community School.
- Families must reside in the Lake Washington School District boundaries.
- Applicants must turn 6 years old on or before August 31, 2020 to be eligible for the fall 2020 lottery.
The families of students admitted to Explorer Community School can participate in a school tour. Tours conducted for #1-29 on the first grade lottery list. Tour dates will be set after the choice school lottery occurs and families that fall in the tour requirement positions will be notified of tour dates. If your waitlist number is greater than 10 you will keep your place on the waitlist and can tour when your number falls in the top 10 for your class. If you are unable to attend the scheduled tour opportunities, please contact the school principal.
Applications are submitted online only through the district website and due by December 13, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
Students will be selected randomly from a lottery held at the district office of all eligible applicants. The lottery will be held at the Lake Washington School District (LWSD) office on January 10, 2021. Following the lottery, notification will go out via email to all applicants regarding their position on the waitlist. If their list position qualifies them for a tour they will be notified.
EXPLORER COMMUNITY SCHOOL LOTTERY PROCEDURES
FOR FALL 2020 ENROLLMENT
Information Night: Tuesday, December 3, 2019, 6:00 p.m. in the Explorer Community Room. Parents (adults only, please) attend Information Night at the Explorer Campus. Attendance is highly recommended.
REQUIRED STEPS IN THE LOTTERY PROCESS FOR 1st – 5th GRADES
• Applications are due by 4:00 p.m. on December 13, 2019
• Parents (adults only, please) attend a tour (classroom observation) (DATE(S) TBD). We strongly recommend your attendance at one of the tours, so you can make an educated decision if your child is offered placement. No reminders will be given. If you are unable to attend either tour, please contact the Enrollment Coordinator to set an alternate time.
LOTTERY PROCESS DATES
- November 8, 2019 – Online application opens (due by 4:00 p.m. on December 13, 2019)
• December 13, 2019 Applications are due by 4:00 p.m.
• January 10, 2020 Lottery held at the District office. Typically, most or all Explorer Community School vacancies occur in the first grade.
• January 17, 2020 Acceptance/wait-list notification letters are sent to families via e-mail by the Lake Washington School District office.
• January 27, 2020 Explorer Community School must be notified in writing of your intention to accept or refuse admittance by 2:30 p.m.
• New Parent Orientation
• Student Visit (only one visit is necessary)
Once enrollment is met, remaining students are placed on a wait list in lottery order.
If an opening occurs, students are called in lottery order using their original number. No new numbers are generated.
If a student accepts placement at another Choice School, the student’s name is removed from our process.
The above lottery procedure is aligned with the Lake Washington School District.
If any of the lottery requirements described above are not met, your child’s name will be removed from the lottery process for Fall 2020, and you may reapply for Fall 2021.
The above dates are subject to change per the LWSD calendar.
WAITLIST AND SIBLING POLICY
Once the first grade lottery drawing has occurred, applicants will retain their assigned place on the waiting list. As openings occur, they will be offered to the next applicant on the list. Those offered enrollment from our waiting list will be given a 24 hour time-frame to make their final decision. The waiting list will remain intact through the 5th grade. If your child is number 1-10 on any class wait list (1-20 for first grade) you are can attend a tour after the lottery. If an applicant accepts a position at another choice school in LWSD, they must notify Explorer’s Enrollment Coordinator (email@example.com) who will remove their name from the waiting list. New 2nd through 5th grade applicants will be determined from the lottery for each grade and added to the existing waiting list. For families with twins and multiple siblings, each student must enter the lottery as an individual and each student will receive an individual lottery number. There is no guarantee that twin/multiple siblings will receive admittance into Explorer. However, due to the elementary sibling preference policy should one twin/multiple sibling be admitted via sibling preference or lottery into the 1st grade, the other twin/multiple sibling will also be accepted, provided there is space available, (i.e. provided that the first twin/multiple sibling did not receive the last spot via lottery).